If you have determined that you need custom built software to meet your business’ needs, to automate a business process, or because the commercial software that exists just doesn’t cut it, then you’ll need to find a development company to help. Many web development companies will offer custom development services, but they are actually just customizing existing software rather than building software from scratch. (Read more about custom software versus customized software.) This can make it difficult to know which direction to take when looking for a development company.
Compared to the number of web development companies, there are few companies that offer true custom software development solutions. As you know, a custom development project is a big investment in both time and money, so it is vital to your business that you partner with the best custom development company and team to complete the project.
The following is a list of basic questions to ask custom development companies during your initial contact to help you determine who should be on the short list of potential partners.
1. Have you been in business for over 20 years?
2. Do you have both back-end and full-stack developers that work on custom development projects? Do they have an average of over 10 years of experience?
3. Will a project manager be assigned to me? Will he/she be available for me throughout the time my software project is being developed?
4. Do you offer ongoing/long term support once my project has been completed?
5. Do you offer night and weekend support hours?
When you contact a company that does custom software development, you want to hear them answer “yes” to all of the above questions. This will get you started in the right direction.
Contact Unidev to learn how our custom software development team can help with your project.